Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Andy Samberg pops up in Jamie's life

Here's a fun article that's enjoyable as you get going into her story.

Andy Samberg's Mission That He Didn't Know About


By Jamie Frevele


I wouldn't have bothered to write about this if it hadn't occurred about seven or eight times, but it did. He has no idea, but Andy Samberg has been on a campaign to brighten my day since February.



This sounds insane, I know. And considering how I have made no secret of how swell I think he is in past blogs, it's also maybe a little - no, it's totally weird. I've never met Mr. Samberg. He has no idea who I am. But since February, every single time I have an exceptionally awful day, he shows up in a magazine. Yes, his sketches and my copy of Incredibad are at my disposal whenever I'm craving some 'berg, but these wackass appearances are exclusively magazines.

Obviously, since he was announced as the host of this year's MTV Movie Awards it's no surprise that lately, he has a fair amount of interviews and press. But I swear, every single time I have a really, really terrible day - as in a "Do I curl up on the couch and make a bottle of wine disappear or find someone to physically harm?" kind of day - I come home, open a new magazine, and there he is. He's not boning Kate Gosselin. He's neither Brad Pitt nor Angelina Jolie. He's hardly ever in these things. But when I come home in a bad mood, there he is.

What I'm pretty sure kicked this off was when I spent an afternoon with a friend shooting a terrible, horrible sketch. Even worse, it was my idea. I was feeling really bad about wasting my friends' time and feeling like I failed at something I really wanted to pull off. When we wrapped, my friend forced me to watch "Hot Rod," the 2007 movie that starred Samberg that I initially refused to see and later ended up comparing to "The Wrestler." (By the way, I'm still pretty proud of that article.) I ended up loving that movie and digging Samberg even more than I did before. So that was the first time Andy Samberg made my day better. (Even more adorable - it was Valentine's Day.)

The second time was in mid-April. For two days in a row, I was stuck in Manhattan traffic for what I swear had to be like a million hours. The kind of traffic where you would strike an old woman if it meant moving another inch. The kind of traffic where you seriously wondered if you were either going backwards or stuck there until the end of time. Two days of this. One of those days I had an audition, for which I ran late and kept pushing back the time, which made me look just awesome. I finally got to the neighborhood and parked my car. No signs about not being able to park there. I was gone for 15 minutes. And I came back to a parking ticket. (Curse you, parking meter. Though I ended up getting the part.) Wow, what a great day. I get home and guess who's in People magazine, talking about lending sugar to Obama? Andy Samberg. It was cute.

But then it kept happening. It happened again, then it happened again. Three times seemed weird. But I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened half a dozen times now, at least. And always magazines. It's been like a real life hybrid version of two Digital Shorts: "The Mirror" and "Andy Pops Into Frame."

The real weirdness happened this past weekend, a trifecta of Andy Samberg popping up like a ray of sunshine. (Which is kind of accurate since he always wears yellow shirts.)

I recently started producing my own comedy sketches. No real reason for the timing, just seemed like the right time to start getting this going after years of talking about it. But this kind of thing invites stress. And it just so happens that the most stressful weekend ever was the weekend before Samberg's hosting gig. The first appearance of the trifecta happened due to sketch-unrelated things I'll get into later. But the second one happened Saturday morning. I got home last Friday night late and saw two mags on the couch, People and Entertainment Weekly. I thought "Of course he's going to be in both of these." If he was, the streak was broken. I'd had a good day. I leafed through People - no Samberg. EW I had to leave for later because like an old fart, I actually sit down and read that particular piece of print media.

I was scheduled to shoot with a camera operator and three other actors at 1:00 the next day. That morning, said camera operator texted me, saying he suddenly came down with a case of "emergency morning rap video" and wanted to know if we could push the shoot back or reschedule. When I asked him how far back we'd have to push it, he never got back to me. I ended up canceling the shoot. This was really fun for me because the same camera guy said for a week that he needed the shoot to be earlier. So McG just assumed I'd know he'd have something else going on. I'm kidding, this guy was not McG. All this = bad morning. I come downstairs and see the EW. No way. No. Way. I leafed through that one - BOOM. Full page of Samberg.

Oh, no. It gets better.

I end up asking not-McG to just mail me the more than three hours worth of footage we'd shot the previous weekend and that I couldn't work with him if I couldn't rely on him. Wednesday morning, I get an email from him: "Reshoot your stuff." He blamed me for inconveniencing him, too. For canceling the first shoot. Because of rain. I should also mention that I had a guy like a brother to me in the hospital for a cardiac procedure, so that was also fun for absolutely no one.

So then, this happened: My friend had emailed me around the same time as not-McG with a link. "I don't know if you're having a bad day, but I found this." Another magazine appearance. Seriously. It was like some sort of force in the ether said "Jamie is having a seriously shitty day, there are no magazines scheduled to arrive today, and she needs a Samberg Appearance more than ever! Someone send a link! Here! Go!"

So now, we're upon the weekend of Andy's hosting gig. I'm very, very psyched for him. He's worked his ass off to get where he is, he's getting well-deserved recognition, he never fails to make me laugh...but I'm a little afraid that if he has a really great day, I'm going to have kind of an awful one.

Here's the first appearance of the trifecta. I have a biopsy scheduled for Saturday for what I'd thought was just a new freckle on my palm. The day Andy appeared in a magazine was the day I found out that the only thing mentioning freckles on palms was melanoma. Skin cancer.

Um, so, great! Andy, break a leg. No, really, break it. In eight places. I hope you fucking blow it on Sunday. Hard. I hope you suck drug fiend balls. Because that probably means I will not have skin cancer.

OR - instead of one of us having a great day and the other one having a terrible one, maybe we should just take it all out on someone else? I don't want skin cancer, and I don't want you to actually break your leg. How about we both just kick someone's ass? Like actually find other people and kick them in their asses? Not hard, just enough to cause a shove. Let's just make sure we both have a good day. A kickass day, if you will.

This odd string of appearances has been really fun, Andy. You seem to come through like my knight in shining armor when I need one the most, even if it's because of the strangest, most random happenstance. Host the awards knowing you make lots of people happy when they might not start out that way. Especially me. Thanks, Andy.

The 2009 MTV Movie Awards air(ed) Sunday, May 31 at 9:00 PM on MTV, which is now actually pronounced "Meh-TV."

From:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-frevele/andy-sambergs-mission-tha_b_208719.html
======================================

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, can you say "crazy stalker chick?" Jesus christ, woman. Get a life.

The Lonely Island fan said...

Wow that's quite a story! I would have to say though that Samberg is getting a lot more famous now, so it's not like the chances of seeing him in a magazine are all that rare now, hehe... I mean it would be as amazing to find as Obama in the newspaper. Samberg is much more out there now! He's gonna get more and more exposure.

Anonymous said...

Anony #1- Quit hating- that person is just having fun and sharing a series of coincidences and how someone has touched her life and made crappy days sunnier. that's all. lighten up and don't take those things so seriously or keep it to yourself.

karmap0lice said...

Hahaha! This post totally reminds me of that old Jesus footprints poem. Andy's good luck isn't bringing you down, he's just carrying you when you need it most. Yep... just compared Andy to Jesus. Whattaya think of that Anonymous 1? Haha... oh man.

Popular Andy Samberg Posts - This Month

Tags (by frequency)

News_SNL_09 News_SNL_10 Images_07 Videos_FanMade_08 News_Web_09 News SNL 11 Videos_SNL_09-10 Videos SNL 2010-2011 Images_09 News_SNL_08 Videos_FanMade_09 Videos_Movies_07 Images_08 News_Web_08 Videos_FanMade_07 Videos_SNL_08-09 Videos SNL 2011-2012 News Movies 11 Photos 11 Videos_LonelyIsland News_Romance News_TV_09 MTV Movie Awards 09 News_Web_07 Videos_TV_09 Videos_Interviews_09 CD - Incredibad CD - Turtleneck and Chain Videos_SNL_07-08 Joanna Newsom Images_06 Audio Blog Updates News TV 11 Photos 10 Videos_SNL_06-07 Videos_TV_07 News_TV_10 Videos SNL Promos Videos_Live_07 Jorma Taccone Videos_SNL_05-06 News - Sitings 10 Text_Interviews_09 EDitorial_09 Ask Andy Samberg Blog EDitorial_08 News_Movies_07 News_Web_10 Movies - Donny's Boy MusicVideos_SNL News_Movies_08 News_Movies_10 Videos_TV_08 News_Movies_09 News_SNL_07 Text_Interviews_07 EDitorial_10 Videos Interviews 11 Featured Player Update Images_05 Products 09 Videos TV 11 Movies - I Hate You Dad News Web 11 Videos_Live_08 EDitorial 11 SNL Episodes 08-09 Akiva Schaffer Videos TV 10 Videos_Live_09 Digital Shorts 2010-2011 News - CDs Videos_Interviews_07 SNL Episodes 09-10 Videos_FanMade_06 News Sitings 11 News_Web_06 Hot Rod Images - Fan-Made Magazines MusicVideos_LonelyIsland Products 08 Videos Interviews 10 Digital Shorts 08-09 Digital Shorts 09-10 Text Interviews 11 Text_Interviews_08 Videos Web 11 Videos_Movies_08 Icons SNL Impressions Justin Timberlake Videogames Videos_Interviews_08 Digital Shorts 2011-2012 FAQ Videos_TV_06 EDitorial_07 News_CDs_09 News_SNL_06 Text Interviews 10 Videos Live 11 SNL Recap 07-08 Videos Weekend Update Videos_FanMade_10 Videos_Movies_09 Videos_TV_05 News SNL 12 SNL Statistics 08-09 Twitter Update thelonelyislandfan Animated GIF Classic Andy Comic Con 09 Drawings Images_04 SNL Recap 05-06 SNL Recap 08-09 SNL Recap 10-11 Videos - Justin Timberlake EDitorial 12 News TV 12 Studio News Videos Cold Open Videos_TV_04 Wallpapers Caption Andy Costumes Discussion Merchandise 11 Movies - Celeste and Jesse Forever News - Sitings 09 Products 10 Text_Interviews_06 Videos Fan-Made 11 Videos Movies 11 Videos_Live_06 Bill Hader Rokk Vodka SNL Lessons SNL Transcripts 08-09 Videos Movies 10 Videos_Live_10